1826 Ruthin Castle - A Short History
Almost two centuries later, in 1826, Ruthin Castle benefitted from being purchased by the wealthy Myddleton family, who invested heavily in creating and extending the residential castle mansion and in doing so, invested in many repairs to the medieval castle ruins and in laying out the gardens and grounds.
The first portion of the stone castle mansion was built within the mediaeval stone castle ruins in 1826 and in 1848 Frederick Richard West, son of Frederick West commissioned Henry Clutton (later Sir Henry Clutton) to rebuild part of the castle erected by his father.
The main block was partly demolished and replaced by a three-storey castellated building in red sandstone, with octagonal corner tower. The northern wing which intrudes onto the garden layout was added sometime after 1879.
Dine like a Prince, Feast like a King or simply enjoy local fresh fare in our authentic Welsh Castle.
Make your fairy tale wedding become a reality , with a magical wedding at the castle
Call our events team for details on packages