RUTHIN CASTLE - A SHORT HISTORY
Almost two centuries later, in 1826, Ruthin Castle benefitted from being purchased by the wealthy Myddleton family, who invested heavily in creating & extending the residential castle mansion & in doing so, invested in many repairs to the medieval castle ruins & in laying out the gardens & grounds.
The first portion of the stone castle mansion was built within the medieval stone castle ruins in 1826 & in 1848 Frederick Richard West, son of Frederick West, commissioned Henry Clutton (later Sir Henry Clutton) to rebuild part of the castle erected by his father.
The main block was partly demolished & replaced by a three-story castellated building in red sandstone, with octagonal corner tower. The northern wing which intrudes onto the garden layout was added sometime after 1879.